I haven’t posted for a long time… I know. It’s because the past couple of weeks have been absolutely hectic, between meeting people, moving back to Ontario, and starting classes again.
TLDR of what I’ve been doing recently:
- Constructing Ikea furniture very slowly
- Meeting up with friends, like the time I had high tea with my friend Adele in Kitsilano
- Other random stuff?
Here are more tidbits of the summer. These things happened after my sister and I came back from Charlottetown, PEI, and shortly after I got my wisdom teeth removed. Some bits of the summer include:
- going for brunch with family at Café la Foret
- baked a super creamy, rich New York cheesecake using an Allrecipes recipe
- plenty of delicious Mom-cooked dinners, including tofu, veggies, and more
- making iron-on bead magnets with my sister
- delicious cooking from Mom – this time with Korean beef stew, pearl meatballs, and butter chicken with mushrooms
- walking the dog with Mom
- baking blueberry almond bread with mom
- delicious brown sugar waffles with powdered sugar, butter, Nutella, maple syrup
- stewed eggplant with ground pork on rice
- lovely soft serve from Soft Peaks, which recently opened near my grandparents’ apartment in Burnaby
- taro and chicken stew with fried egg and zucchini
My grandma found these! I wrote them when I was in the tenth grade, about five years ago. This is when I wrote down everything that I ate, separating them into pages by meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner). I think it’s funny because I also RANKED all of the things I ate out of 10, then calculated the weekly and monthly averages.
Heirloom Vegetarian is a lovely brunch spot in Vancouver. I went with my family, and I enjoyed a great platter of mushroom hash topped with poached egg and tofu. Mom and I shared two dishes – the other one was a grilled cheese with cauliflower soup. Afterwards, Mom, Dad, and I (sans Seline) shared a tray of four ice creams from Rain or Shine. They were Salted Caramel, Vanilla, Malted Chocolate Honeycomb, Peanut Butter.
Another afternoon, Seline and I had high tea with our good friend Adele. It was my first time having high tea, and it was such an enjoyable experience. The place was beautiful, the food was divine, and the company was great.
I had two large mugs of London Fog, which Seline drizzled with honey. I ate the vegetarian Grande Adventure, and my favourite savoury bite was the cheese sandwich with apple relish, followed by a tiny sandwich filled with curried egg salad.
That same evening, we packed up the car and drove to Aunt Mimi’s home. We went to Mimi’s house because she lives closer to the airport, and she was the one giving us a ride to the airport the next day. This time, Dad, Seline, Grandpa, and I ALL went to Waterloo together.
Our first meal in Waterloo was Famoso Pizzeria. I had my favourite, which had arugula, gorgonzola, dates, honey, brussels sprouts, and proscuitto. On the side, a Caprese salad.
For the first few nights, we stayed at a lovely AirBnB in Kitchener. The highlight was playing a board game called Blokus.
Another day, we dined at Red House. Seline had lamb spaghetti, and I thoroughly enjoyed my summery salad and plantains with queso fresco. For dessert, I had the chocolate tart with whipped ricotta and berries. We did an escape room after this dinner – it was called the Vault. Unfortunately, we didn’t escape in time.
Around this time, we got to see the new house. The house was already furnished for one person.
We went to the MUSEUM in Kitchener one day, and Seline and I played with this interactive virtual dancing thing.
Fun moments – delicious dinner of baked cheesy tortellini with veggies from Ennio’s, followed by an incredible dark rum and mascarpone bread pudding with ice cream and Nutella sauce.
Plus cleaning and sleeping on the ground. Which are not fun.
More cleaning, more furniture to construct, and a random waffle topped with whipped peanut butter, honey-roasted granola, and peaches.
A couple wonderful meals from Dad and Grandpa’s LAST DAY in Waterloo:
- L: Timeless London Fog, omelet with roasted cauliflower, black beans, smoked salmon, chipotle lime goat cheese, sweet potato pancake with black beans
- D: Belmont vegetable crepe with ratatouille filling (eggplant, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash), goat cheese, kale, buckwheat crepe // salted caramel brownie with vanilla creme anglaise, strawberry ice cream, strawberries, gluten-free carrot cake with blueberries, whipped cream, orange glaze
Seline and I had a bit more cleaning to do, and we were all done with the apartment. Here it is:
We finished cleaning, had an EXCELLENT first day of school (with yummy lunch eaten in the sun), and I celebrated with a giant chocolate chip cookie. I actually got this massive chewy cookie from Proof Kitchen for free as part of my lunch (how sweet is that deal?!), and it was delicious after popping it into the microwave for about 35 secs. Chewy, crisp around the edges, buttery, and exploding with chocolate. Served with a glass of milk.
That’s it for today!
A bunch of random things before we end of…