This morning, I woke up with a sniffly, runny nose and a craving for a soothing and warm drink. Enter this amazing latte, with super-healthy-and-hip turmeric, sweet honey, and warming spices like ginger and cinnamon. You’ll love this drink, friends.
Turmeric Latte (Golden Milk)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ginger (I used the stuff in a tube)
- pinch black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Blend in a blender until fully combined.
- Heat on the stovetop until desired temperature. Serve and enjoy.
Another morning, a blog post by Cora at My Little Tablespoon reminded me that I could use quinoa flour to make a breakfast bake! I made a couple of small tweaks, but regardless, her recipe did not disappoint. The sunflower butter on top was the perfect touch, and on the side I enjoyed yogurt with sliced banana.
Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bake
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 2 Tbsp quick oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- sprinkle salt
- Combine flax and water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a small ramekin.
- Place all ingredients in blender, and blend until well combined.
- Pour into ramekin and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Top with chocolate chips and serve! I liked mine with sunflower butter, yogurt, and banana.
On Sunday, I visited an Ethiopian restaurant called Lalibela. The entire time I ate this, I was desperate for a fork and knife! My uncoordinated fingers had a rough time tearing and scooping. My favourite part of this meal was the collard greens and the orange puree, which tasted like chickpeas and a smoky spice that I can’t put my finger on.
The restaurant itself was quite ornate! Have you tried Ethiopian food before?
That night, I made baked salmon, hoping to try something different from my usual maple and soy combination. This week’s baked salmon was made with:
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- small handful dill, torn up
- salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne
Marinated for about 15 minutes, then baked for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Perfect!
Really good gelato from G for Gelato in Toronto. One scoop of coffee-chocolate almond Rufino, and one scoop of Mediterranean pistachio-walnut. This made my night!
This newish recipe is a riff from one of my favourite almond cakes. I subbed the almond meal for delicious (albeit expensive) hazelnut meal, and it turned into a glorious treat that I just can’t get enough of. Begging you to get your hands on some hazelnut flour, and try this!
Flourless Raspberry Hazelnut Cake
- 2 cups hazelnut meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- frozen raspberries, to taste
- chocolate chips, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk eggs. Add all ingredients except raspberries and chocolate chips. Whisk well.
- Pour into greased baking pan.
- Bake at 325 for 50 minutes. Cool completely, then cut and serve.
The view from my 31st floor apartment room is incredible.
Chickpea blondies were also made and devoured. I followed my usual recipe, swapping the nut butter for a cashew-peanut butter blend and adding extra chocolate chips. I’m not joking, nor am I embarrassed, when I say that I ate this entire 8×8 square in less than a week. Try it and you’ll see! No bean taste, I promise.
I haven’t done yoga in too long :O
Funny Yoga Quotes!
- Yoga. Because punching people is frowned upon.
- “If you fall, I’ll be there.” – mat
- Go from a human being doing yoga to a human being yoga.
- Namas’cray: The craziness in me recognizes and honours the craziness in you.
- Balance is when you eat salads and do yoga, then eat cupcakes and sleep.
- WARNING: Yoga has been known to cause health and happiness.
- Life is better when you bend.
- Bend so you don’t break.
- To relieve stress, I do yoga. Just kidding, I eat chocolate in my yoga pants.
- Yoga is Simon Says and nap time. 🙂
I think that’s it for today, mes amis! Have a lovely, spring-forwarded week.