I really wish I had something interesting and thought-provoking to share with you this lovely Monday morning, but I really don’t.
It’s almost winter here in Australia, and the weather is getting noticeably cooler. Fortunately, I can still wear shorts and a t-shirt since we are around the mid-twenties for most of the day. This is my favourite kind of weather – warm and sunny, but not overwhelmingly hot. It’s such a comfortable temperature that I wish it could stay like this year-round.
On Mother’s Day, I had a lovely brunch with my landlords (husband and wife) and her daughter (my housemate). We savoured brunch at a cafe called Café 63 in New Farm. Their menu was very extensive, they had quick service, and it was great to sit out in the patio. I ordered the mashed avocado, multigrain toast, two poached eggs, and smoked salmon. I haven’t had avocado toast in quite a while, so this was incredible. The black pepper and lime juice took the flavours to the next level.
I’ve been neglecting my blog a little bit with only two posts in the last three weeks. It’s because my schoolwork is getting busier. Final exams begin at the start of June, so many of my exams are less than a month away. When I have a lot to do, I genuinely enjoy making to-do lists – the longer the better! – and feel so much satisfaction checking off the tasks.
I haven’t been taking many pictures of my food, mostly because I feel like I eat the same thing every day. It’s always a combination of store-bought salad from Botanica Real Food (check out their Instagram, seriously), alongside some homemade quiche or omelet, and sometimes fried halloumi or bread from the farmer’s market.
Broke my record for steps! In contrast to… sitting on my butt for hours at a time to study.
I love Brisbane! At night it becomes such a colourful, vibrant place when all the bridges light up and illuminate the water. I learned yesterday that swimming and rowing in the Brisbane River is highly advised against, because there are bull sharks in here!
After my term in Australia, then July and August, I will be moving back to Waterloo, this time with my sister! Seline was accepted into the University of Waterloo, so we are very excited about being able to live together. I’ve been choosing my courses, and we have been working together to find a nice and affordable place at a convenient location in Waterloo.
Now, for something completely unrelated to school and housing:
Here’s a list of my favourite side dish salad combinations, inspired by Botanica!
- potato, peas, dill ⭐FAV
- brown rice, squash
- pumpkin with seeds and cumin hummus dressing
- Israeli couscous with spinach, red onion, sweet potato, pesto dressing ⭐FAV
- roasted cauliflower with dates and parsley ⭐FAV
- shredded beet with orange and goat cheese, mint
- purple cabbage with mayo
- chickpea, spinach, carrot with creamy curry dressing
- broccoli slaw with dried cranberries
- carrot and quinoa
- currant, quinoa, green/brown lentil, red onion, parsley, sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, cabbage
- roasted potato with capers, dill
My sister asked me for a list of foods rich in B12. Here you go, S!
Meat-based Vitamin B12-Rich Foods
- red meat
- fish (trout, salmon)
- oysters and clams
Vegan Vitamin B12-Rich Foods
- soy milk
- sweet potato
Now, for a little note on things that I’ve been loving recently:
- Cirque Physio, a website by physiotherapist and circus artist Dr. Jen Crane. She provides all kinds of excellent tips and tricks (that I get on FB!) about recovery, injury prevention, and healthy habits – all targeting aerialists and acrobats.
- Along those lines, I downloaded The Artist Athlete Podcast by Shannon McKenna. I’ve never been a big fan of podcasts, but her podcast has featured interviews and conversations with high-level performers, occupational therapists, riggers, and a variety of artists. Her voice is so easy to listen to, and she brings up some excellent points. One of my favourite episodes was one from May 7, where she spoke with Anton Belyakov, a professional hand balancer born into a circus family.
That’s pretty much all I have for today, but I’m going to some great cafes today and tomorrow, and an awesome show that I’m very excited about. Have a great day!