Hello everyone! I’m currently writing this from an altitude of 36,000 feet – I’m on my way to Taiwan. I’m not really sure how many hours are left in the trip, but the flight has been comfortable and uneventful thus far. Since we boarded at around midnight and didn’t take off until 1:00, I felt sleepy on the plane and didn’t have trouble falling asleep. Side note: I am going to be unbelievably jet-lagged… for the next two months, since I’m flying from Canada > Taiwan > Cambodia > Taiwan > Macau > Taiwan > Canada > Australia.
Update: I ended up eating both of my carrot raisin muffins and my peanut butter banana muffin top, along with some of the popcorn that I’d packed. Dad had the rest of the popcorn. I am nearly done reading Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick and have so much to say about it.
So, what happened yesterday and the day before? My family pitched in to make a lovely New Year’s Eve dinner. Mom created a smoky, peppery beef roast that we served with white cheddar mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and naan bread broiled with Gouda cheese on top. We also had crackers and the last bit of caramelized onion hummus, which was delicious. My family never sets the table, and we rarely eat together at the table as a family (due to conflicting schedules and other activities), so this was a very special and beautiful way to end 2017.
That night, Seline wanted to learn how to use my handheld milk frother, so I showed her. We went a little overboard, attempting this heart latte art with cocoa powder. Also, this is my favourite hummus.
Seline normally wakes up late, between 11:00 AM and noon. This gives me a lot of time alone, which is never really exciting. During the time that she’s getting her zzzz’s, I bake (this time, carrot muffins), study a little, check my social media, write new blog posts, and play with Arnie.
Seline and I spent January 1, 2018 lounging around at home, playing with the dog, and doing typical sisterly silly things.
When the cabin fever hit, we headed to Porter Street Elementary School, where no one was on the playground – so we had a photoshoot. 🙂 Seline is a very talented photographer, having taken several photography courses in her high school and establishing her own photography blog. I am so lucky – these space net shots are some of my favourites.
After we got bored of the playground, we spent some time circling Como Lake, watching the ducks and geese through misty fog, and looking at the thin layer of ice that veiled the entire lake.
My sister and I got our eyelashes permed at a salon called Blue Moon in Burnaby, BC. I really liked how it turned out, and was glad that I had before and after pictures to see how they were. Not going to lie, the experience itself was not very enjoyable; we lay there with our eyes glued shut for about 1.5 hours. But the final result was satisfying and we will have these curly lashes for two or more months!
In my backpack:
- MCAT Quicksheets book
- Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP caramel popcorn
- Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP dark chocolate sea salt popcorn
- Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP white cheddar popcorn
- Breton garden vegetable crackers
- Fontaine Santé caramelized onion hummus
- Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
- Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts
- Health Tips for the Tropical Traveller handbook from our travel doctor in Vancouver
- little notebook and pen
- hair brush, tissues, CARMEX and EOS lip balm
- two LARABARS: one peanut butter, one peanut butter chocolate chip
- Artisana raw pecan single-serve nut butter packet
- Lindt 70% dark chocolate squares
- peanut butter and banana muffin top
- carrot oat muffin with raisins
- dried fruit
- homemade muffins or scones
- parchment-paper wrapped sandwich
- popcorn in baggies
- single-serve dark chocolate (Lindt)
- hummus (3.4 oz/100 mL max) and crackers
- sliced hard cheese
- individually-packed nut butter and banana
- dough balls
- healthy pastries
That is pretty much it!