Good morning guys! I hope everyone is having a beautiful day. It struck me yesterday that this Friday is going to be December. I can’t believe it. Looking at my 2017 New Year’s Resolutions, I feel like it hasn’t been that long since I last created these yearlong goals. Time really flies.
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- sprinkle cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced finely
- 1 cup water
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Toast spices for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time.
- Add onion and scallions and 1/3 cup water. Cook 5 mins, until onion and scallions are soft and translucent.
- Whisk in coconut milk and remaining 2/3 cup water. Boil.
- Add sweet potatoes. Decrease heat to med-low. Cover. Simmer rapidly for 10-15 mins, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add raisins. Simmer uncovered for 5 mins, or until sweet potatoes break down into the sauce. Stir frequently. Remove from heat.
- Scoop curry into bowls and serve with brown rice and lime wedges if desired.
I spent some time over the weekend creating a new resume format for my sister, Seline. She chose the colour and style, so I just helped to put it all together.
For myself, I’ve been working on a Personal Statement for a co-op contest, as well as revising my own resume.
Last week, I had some delicious meals from Whole Foods. This bowl included barbeque smoked meat, mac and cheese, a cauliflower meatball, and more.
Few things from recently:
- Did you guys know I’m interested in true crime and criminal psychology? My sister and I have been watching a lot of Unsolved Mysteries on YouTube.
- On Sunday I had a great time, thanks to this detailed agenda – you’ll see in a moment!
- Shopping lists
- I made a 2048 tile! I must be the only person who still plays 2048…
I went to BakerBots Bakery on Sunday, where I bought this incredible pumpkin tart that I devoured yesterday. This buttery shortbread crust was filled with creamy, sweet, cinnamon-y pumpkin and topped with the fluffiest whipped cream, crispy glazed pumpkin seeds, and a homemade pumpkin cream puff.
I also had a cinnamon bun! This cinnamon bun was from BakerBots as well. When I was in line to buy some pastries and ice cream, the girl in front of me insisted that I try their cinnamon buns. I must have looked very indecisive (they had such a large spread of treats!) because she told me, without hesitation, that I “have to try their cinnamon buns. They’re delicious. Stupidly delicious. Seriously, stupidly delicious.” I’m not a huge cinnamon bun fan, since I prefer cakes and muffins, but you can only see so many delicious scones and cinnamon buns from Cora’s site (which, Cora, if you’re reading this – I bought a donut and a muffin from Through Being Cool yesterday!). So I had to get a cinnamon bun.
And she was absolutely right. Stupidly delicious. Can I eat ten of these right now?
My office at work is now decorated for Christmas. I tried to make it anatomy-themed. Check out all the photos saved on my phone for inspiration!
Another incredible dessert: this banana eclair from Roselle. It was filled with white chocolate cream, vanilla chantilly, and rum-glazed bananas. I really loved how the eclair itself was crisp and light, rather than soft, mushy, and heavy.
My friend and I went to the Christmas market in Toronto. It was great to catch up on the cold, blustery Sunday and see all the lovely vendors and Christmas decorations.
I. Love. Christmas. From the lights to the carols to the fluffy scarves and the hot chocolate, I wish everyone could have that warm fuzziness of Christmas year-round.
Ooooh, guys. Look at this. I’m freaking out. Let me just explain this deliciousness in point form:
- Chewy (with crispy edges) peanut butter cookie with caramelized peanuts and chunks of peanut brittle
- Ube ice cream (Japanese/Filipino sweet potato)
- Toffee swirl ice cream with chunks of toffee
I devoured this in a heartbeat. Hands-down one of my Top 3 All-Time Favourite Desserts.
I also loved this brunch at Karelia Kitchen, where I munched on purple cornmeal pancakes, a poached duck egg, smoked salmon, and the best beet-cured gravlax.
That was all post-silks!
And these are some much simpler, but delicious nonetheless, meals from home. 🙂
I hope everyone has a festive week ⭐️