Before we look at FOOD, look at baby Cindy! Mom was doing a big house clean back home in BC, and she stumbled upon this photo of little me. I think I was one or two here.
The good thing about the summer semester is that there’s barely anyone here, so campus always a quiet place to study.
The bad thing about the summer semester is that there’s barely anyone here, so the cafe is closed for the term, and Starbucks is only open from 9:00 to 3:00.
Check out this neat infographic on the humble sweet potato.
I made the strangest mishmash dinner bake the other day, which featured green beans, black beans, red peppers, quinoa, corn tortillas, and red enchilada sauce and smoked cheddar. I can’t believe I forgot the green onions, which were sitting, perfectly chopped up, in the fridge.
Delicious pumpkin noodles were devoured. I loved the addition of peas.
I made a black bean burger and topped it with smoked cheddar to serve with arugula and quinoa, tossed in a honey-mustard dressing. Delicious and simple.
Another day, my almond flour banana bread was a sad failure because I forgot to add baking powder. WHO forgets to add baking powder? Me. They tasted just as good, though dense like a brownie. Not complaining though, because brownies are always a happy surprise.
Last week was the week of salads! Black bean burger, beets, fig goat cheese and avocado made great toppings for a bed of couscous and arugula.
With my extra beets, I made…
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 large beets
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1.5 cups almond meal
- 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp oil or melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees. Grease a muffin tin VERY well.
- Puree beets in a blender.
- Mix all ingredients together. Add chocolate chips. Save some to top, if desired.
- Spoon into 9 muffin tins. Top with additional chocolate chips, if you’d like.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Cool completely in the muffin tins.
- Serve alone or with toppings.