5 Birthday-Brightening Gestures
- My beautiful, talented friend from aerial silks gave me a ride home on Tuesday night. It was 10:00 PM, dark, snowy, and -15 degrees. Even though she lived in the opposite direction (Kitchener), she offered to drive me HOME, instead of the nearby mall. Thank you, Leah!
- My friend Lily from school gave me a high-quality, warm, and classic pair of leg warmers from Roots. I love them! I put them on shortly after and couldn’t stop thinking about how comfy they were. Looks like I will be having a warm winter 🙂 If you check out my aerial silks page, you’ll see that I’ve been really loving the leg warmers!
- My friend Jasmine made a MEME of me. If you guys know me, you’ll know that I am a meme lover. My life probably revolves around memes. Anyways, she found a hideous picture of me and made a meme out of it. Had me laughing for a good five minutes.
- Roommates Madhulika and Arsalan bought me a white chocolate vanilla bean cheesecake from Vincenzo’s, the local Italian grocery store. They knew it’s my favourite cheesecake, and they plated it, put candles in it, and surprised me when I got home. It was so sweet of them (literally) to buy that for me. Look how surprised and happy I was in the picture below. I got home at around 10:00 PM on the Tuesday, and they surprised me the minute I walked in – hence the big winter jacket, messy hair, and sweat on my face 🙂
- My 16 year-old sister Seline, in BC, wrote a little poem for me! You can read it here. It’s called Rotations and is quite a unique piece of writing. Seline’s poetry-writing skills are much better than mine. Definitely check out her corner of the internetfor some thought-provoking poetry, incredible images, and muses from a mature high-schooler.
Needless to say, it was a much birthday than my 18th, when I lost my ID AND KEYS the day before my biology final exam. 😉 To be fair, it makes a pretty funny story now that I think about it.
Next up – a hot chocolate recipe! Friends, you need to make this. I’ve done it before with almond milk and Enjoy Life chocolate chips for a vegan version and it is equally delicious.
Favourite Easy Hot Chocolate from Scratch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 Tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar, or regular sugar
- pinch cinnamon, optional
- Alternatively, add milk to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once milk is warm, add cocoa powder, chocolate, sugar, and cinnamon and whisk to combine.
- Continue cooking on stove top until completely combined and has reached your preferred temperature.
- Serve with a blanket, a movie, a group of friends, and in front of a fireplace. Just kidding. If you’re suffering through #finalexams (you know, #studentlife), enjoy the hot cocoa with a side of notebooks, stress, and calculators. 😉
- Where is my white-out?
- Let me check my email.
- How many more days until Christmas?
- My foot is falling asleep.
- What time is it?
- I’m thirsty.
- Where’s that sheet? I swear it was important.
- I need to pee.
- Why can’t I focus?
- I’m thirsty again.
- I wonder what Mom is doing.
- What is that sound?
- I’m cold.
- Should I do my laundry?
- I really want to look at memes.
- What should I make for dinner?
- Let me check my email again.
- What is the minimum mark I need to get on this final to do well in the course?
- I want to do yoga.
- I don’t understand this.
- Can I go another day without washing my hair?
- It’s kinda cold in the house!
- Where is my eraser?
My math final exam was on Friday. We are allowed a double-sided “cheat sheet” with ANYTHING we want on it, and this was mine:
Looking at math makes me shudder now. Linear algebra is the worst because it doesn’t exist in the BC curriculum – so coming to Ontario was a shock because my friends had tons of linear algebra experience.
Creamy Vegetable Quinoa Casserole
- as much quinoa as you like, around enough for 3 servings (cooked – rice works as well)
- as many veggies as you like (I used broccoli, zucchini, frozen peas, and mushrooms)
- 215 mL milk
- 1.5 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch cayenne, to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, plus a little more to top
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- Stir-fry veggies in butter or oil. I use medium heat.
- When soft, add most of the milk.
- Whisk flour, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne, nutritional yeast, and Dijon mustard with the remaining milk.
- When the milk bubbles, add the milk/flour mixture.
- Stir well.
- When the mixture thickens, add cheddar. Stir to melt.
- Add quinoa. Mix and season.
- Pour into a casserole dish. Top with cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted.
I put crushed crackers on top and broiled it for a super crispy top. It was dreamy.
My birthday cake was this mug cake after lunch! It’s my new favourite recipe, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too 🙂 It’s super fluffy and spongy thanks to the egg.
1-Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Sponge Cake
Makes: 1 serving
- 2 tablespoons powdered peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water or almond milk
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until well combined. Transfer to a microwave-safe ramekin, mug or bowl.
- Microwave for 55 seconds. Remember, microwave power levels very dramatically. The first time making a microwave cake, keep a close eye as to not over-cook the cake.
- Serve with extra chocolate chips and a big scoop of peanut butter.
I filled mine with a generous scoop of chocolate chips. It’s the size of a muffin and quite filling! Amazing quick dessert 🙂
Eggs, veggies, and avocado toast are my favourite quickie meal.
Can you tell I have a lot of whole wheat bread at home? PB and banana sandwiches never fail me, especially toasted. Mmmmm.
Yummy cheese and broccoli quesadilla made with a kamut tortilla from the St. Jacob’s Farmers Market…
… and my new hair crush – the fictional Daenerys from Game of Thrones. Being
cursed blessed born with straight, flat, plain black hair, I’ve always been super envious of those who have perfect curls and waves. I’m also huge fan of braids. So, I don’t really know why I’m posting these, except for the fact that I. LOVE. Her. Hair.
It’s cold outside! Last Thursday, we had -25 degrees with the wind chill. The snow is also getting higher and higher – check out how it goes over my boots! Uh oh.
My doggie Arnie, a funny pic, and the special poster in my room 🙂
That’s it for today, guys! I have lots of fun stuff planned now that my final exams are over. Can’t wait to get going on finishing that end-of-2016 list of things to do!