Good evening, friends! I’m not feeling the best right now. You know the post-dinner end-of-the-week slump where you just want to eat ten scoops of peanut butter and then lie down and sleep for 12 hours?
That’s me right now.
Pancakes one morning! Pics coming up.
Thick and Hearty Paleo Banana Pancakes
Serves 1: makes 2 pancakes
- 1 small overripe banana, or half large
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp. almond flour
- 1 tbsp. coconut flour
- coconut oil for frying
- desired toppings
- Mash banana. Add egg, cinnamon, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Whisk well.
- Add almond flour and coconut flour, whisking until combined.
- Heat coconut oil over medium-low heat and fry two pancakes. When golden brown, flip and cook the other side. If the pancakes get too brown, lower the heat.
- Serve immediately with toppings, and enjoy!
Brown sugar and soy sauce salmon with a rice vinegar marinade. Turned out quite tasty over leftover fried rice.
This breakfast was SO filling! Oats topped with two chopped kiwis, a square of banana bread, yogurt, and granola. Whew.
PEANUT STEW! This was the cheapest thing EVER. Spinach, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, rice. Does it get any more inexpensive than that?! Also, it was freaking delicious. It was so good that I made two batches in a week, each batch serving three.
In other words, I ate this exact same peanut stew six times in seven days. The toasted peanuts on top are perfection.
Peanut Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- scant 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth (I used chicken)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- Brown Rice to serve
- Peanuts, lightly toasted
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a pot. Add onions and saute for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onions are fragrant. Stir in garlic and ginger, continuing to cook for two more minutes.
- Stir in pepper, salt, cayenne, and cumin. Start on the low end of the cayenne pepper and add more only if you want it spicier. Cook for 1 to 2 more minutes until spices are fragrant.
- Next add in sweet potatoes, carrots, veggie broth, and honey. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer over low heat. Stir in peanut butter and let stew cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are soft, stir in spinach and continue to cook until spinach has wilted. Serve with over brown rice if desired and top with toasted peanuts.
Mac and cheese was devoured. This vegan mac and cheese (which I topped with real dairy cheddar… I know) was made with kabocha squash! Ahhhh-mazing.
Last week I shared some cinnamon bun muffins with you guys! Here is the recipe, copied and pasted from a paleo recipe site. Hence the links to all the ingredients below.
Cinnamon Bun Muffins
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- To make the muffins, combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl
- In a large bowl blend together oil, agave, eggs, and vanilla
- Blend dry ingredients into wet and scoop a scant ¼ cup at a time into lined muffin cups
- To make cinnamon topping, combine agave, cinnamon, and oil in a small bowl
- Spoon topping onto muffins
- Bake muffins for 8-12 minutes at 350°.
Another day, another dessert…
Strawberry Banana Crumble
- 1 banana
- handful berries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 110 mL quick oats (7.5 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 1/4 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice bananas into a bowl. Toss with berries.
- Place fruit in baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tsp maple syrup. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Make crumble layer by mixing remaining ingredients (including remaining 2 tsp maple syrup), except coconut oil and cinnamon.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave, then add cinnamon and pour into bowl. Mix all ingredients together.
- Once fruit has cooked for 10 minutes, remove baking dish from oven. Spread crumble layer on top. Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes, until top is golden brown.
And mac and cheese, of course.
Vegan squash sauce is irresistible, but you can take it up a notch with extra veggies, caramelized onions, and yup, broiled cheddar on top.
Quesadilla with avocado, egg, salsa, and cheddar. Classic and so delicious.
This sweet potato and ricotta tart filled with chopped spinach turned out okay.
It looked beautiful, but I think something was missing in terms of flavour. I might add goat cheese, scallions, and mushrooms next time.
Sometimes, messy food can be the most delicious. I probably had egg yolk on every single finger after devouring this tasty sandwich!
Pancakes were also enjoyed a second time. New recipe!
Oatmeal Ricotta Pancakes
Makes 3 pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon, to taste
- 2 tsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp. ricotta cheese
- Mix all ingredients together. Cover, let batter rest overnight in the fridge to soften oats.
- Heat nonstick pan over medium-low heat and cook 3 pancakes. Flip when golden-brown and cook opposite side.
- Enjoy with Greek yogurt and other desired toppings. I like berries and maple syrup!
That’s it for today, everyone! Make sure you check out some of my brand-new PAGES: Acro Yoga, Aerial Silks, and Yoga Photo Journal. 🙂 I will update them regularly!
Have an awesome weekend.
PS: did you know that if you click furiously on the words under the TAG section, you can add as many tags as you want?! Now I have 239408 tags for this post…