This is kind of embarrassing. Okay, it’s really embarrassing.
Rachel and I had brunch at Cafe Medina together… eight months ago. Yup, and I didn’t finish writing the post until now. Procrastination at it’s finest. 😉
I had a square of chocolate-banana cake and some banana smeared with peanut butter. Delicious! I like my bananas topped with cinnamon too.
Anyways, Medina is a fairly well-known place in downtown Vancouver, and they are famous for their waffles (not made in store) and creative twists on brunch classics.
- 780 Richards St. (between Robson & Georgia) Library District, Vancouver BC V6B 3A4
- Weekdays (M-F):
- Regular service from 8am-3pm
- Weekends and Holidays:
- Regular service from 9am-3pm
- Café Medina is operated on a first-come, first-served basis — reservations are not taken and the entire party must be on site before being seated
We arrived early and waited in line outside before the store opened, and it filled up almost right away.
We started with hot drinks!
1: Not good 2: Okay/Decent 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Incredible! Must-try and would order again
White Chocolate Pistachio Rosewater Hot Chocolate: 5.5/6
- Very thin layer of foam/froth on top
- Served on the hotter side of warm. Not lukewarm, but definitely not steaming, or even hot
- Prominent white chocolate flavour, but not overly sweet
- Made with whole milk, very creamy
- Rose flavour was noticeable and quite fragrant
- I could not taste the pistachios, but I detected some crushed pistachios as I was finishing my drink. They did not add any flavour to the drink
Lavender Latte: 5/6
- Latte very well done
- Fragrant from the lavender
The colours were so vibrant and insanely beautiful. I love the presentation!
Fricassée Champignon: 2/6
2 Fried Eggs, Sherry Roasted Mushroom Ragout, Spice Roasted Potatoes, Caramelized Onions, Applewood Smoked Cheddar, Seasonal Greens with Grilled Focaccia
- Topped with julienned radish and green apple
Runny eggs, spicy rice, mellow and creamy avocado… this dish would be a savoury-breakfast lover’s dream.
1 Fried Egg, Orzo,
Spicy Chorizo, Seasonal Vegetables, Grana Padano, Avocado & Spicy Charred Tomato Salsa
- Rachel and I wanted to substitute the chorizo for something else (maybe beans?), but this wasn’t possible so we asked for it to be omitted
- Slightly too spicy for my taste
- Some more avocado and radishes would be appreciated
- Grana Padano was hidden and simply broiled on top, the layer could be peeled off
- I wish the herbs were more flavourful, because all I could taste was spice, salt, and slightly-salty tomato sauce
- I’m not a big fan of orzo, and pasta in general
- I was disappointed with the lack of “seasonal vegetables” in this dish – there were only some quartered zucchini chunks and a couple bell peppers thrown in for colour
- Caramelized onions would be a great addition
I said goodbye to the waffle bar…
And then headed home!
Man, I miss my Vancouver friends! 😥 Hope you all had a great Valentine’s Day! I have some recipes sitting in the Drafts box that I can’t wait to share with you guys soon!