This recipe was from a loooooonnnng time ago. Like, a year ago. And by that, I don’t mean December 2015… I’m talking February 2015.
But it’s better late than never, right?
Especially if it involves bananas and chocolate.
This recipe was inspired by a dessert that I enjoyed from PureBread Bakery in downtown Vancouver. After my first bite, I knew the dessert was delicious but could be made 10x better at home with more bananas, less sugar, and some sour cream for moistness. This is what I came up with, and I found it even better than their famous chocolate banana bottom!
Healthified PureBread Chocolate Banana Bottom
- 160g coconut sugar, light brown sugar, or sweetened coconut chips
- 115g melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 115g sour cream
- 2 medium overripe bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 170g spelt flour, divided into 95g and 75g
- 20g cocoa powder
- 35g semisweet chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 square baking pan.
- If you are using coconut chips, place them into the blender to grind into sugar. Add melted coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Blend until thick and creamy.
- Mash bananas until slightly chunky (mostly smooth!) and stir into wet mixture.
- Add baking soda, cinnamon, and sea salt into wet ingredients.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into a separate bowl. Now you have two bowls with equal amounts of the banana-sour cream mixture.
- Add 95g spelt flour into one bowl. Stir to just combine. Do not overmix.
- Add 75g spelt flour and 20g cocoa powder into the other bowl. Stir to just combine. Do not overmix.
- Pour chocolate batter into the bottom of the square pan. Spread, shake, and tap on the counter to allow the batter to cover the bottom. Pour the plain banana batter on top. Spread carefully. Do not mix the two layers!
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool the chocolate-banana bottom for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 16 squares and serve!