Yesterday morning started with a deliciously juicy and flavourful peach from the farmer’s market. I love soft, ripe peaches. This one tasted better than candy! I also had some leftover frittata, reheated in our toaster oven. Frittatas are even better the second day, in my opinion. The goat cheese forms a yummy crust, and the eggs set some more, so it’s a bit firmer. This was a great light breakfast (probably equal to some regular person’s normal-sized breakfast!) before going to Wild Rice for a family lunch.
Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, and I ordered hot lemon water to start. I loved the way they put hot water into these miniature tea kettles. So modern! I’ve never actually seen a personal tea kettle like this.
- Wild Rice Market Bistro (River Market New Westminster)
122 – 810 Quayside Drive
New Westminster BC. Canada, V3M 6B9
- Mon-Thur: 11:30am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm
Fri & Sat: 11:30-10:00pm
Sun: 11:30am -9:00pm
1: Not good 2: Okay/Decent 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Incredible! Must-try and would order again
Salt & Pepper Squid: fried squid and jalapenos, grilled lime, house tartar: 2/6
- I didn’t try this because I’m really not a fan of calamari
- Dad and Seline complained that this was too salty
- The salt was sprinkled on top and they ended up shaking the salt off before eating
- I liked the grilled lime! 🙂
- Polenta fries were thick and chewy with lots of crunch from the cornmeal outside
- Gravy was luscious and just salty enough, tasted homemade!
- I liked the addition of cheddar (not just cheese curds), but the cheddar flavour faded into the dish
- There were also some small chunks of chicken (thigh?) on top
- This was a very creative twist on poutine that I really enjoyed, but I wish the polenta fries were a tad softer inside. The outside crisp was just right.
Tuna Gomae: a Japanese classic. lightly seared Albacore tuna, smoked shallot lime salt, sesame spinach: 3.5/6
- “It doesn’t taste like tuna at all. It tastes like meat” was my uncle Charles’s first impression
- I thought the tuna had a great seafood flavour but was not flavoured enough (could’ve used some garlic or maybe vinegar)
- A drizzle of some soy/sesame sauce would’ve been excellent
- The sesame spinach was great! Served slightly cool and very flavourful with ground sesame
I loved this so much and it reminded me of my peanut sauce (click for recipe in a new tab). Definitely a highlight on their menu and I encourage you to give this lovely Thai-style noodle dish a try, especially if you like noodles and peanuts!
Do you like gnocchi? Have you ever had it cooked until crispy?
We demolished everything except about 30% of the vegan butter “chicken” which we didn’t want packed up. We were all so full but ready for dessert!
See THIS POST for my first visit to Wild Rice. 🙂
TreGalli Cafe white truffle gelato (3/6), chocolate-almond gelato (2.5/6)
- Kid’s cup with two flavours
- Chocolate almond gelato tasted like regular chocolate ice cream, so I was not impressed at all
- White truffle gelato tasted like real, pure white chocolate, not too sweet
- Both were creamy and melted quite quickly, which is normal for gelato
- The waffle cone on top was not good at all – probably because I compared it to the house-made vanilla waffle cones at Rain or Shine
- Last time I enjoyed the cookies and cream flavour
Before dinner, we ran lots of errands and I was so ready for a little bowl of fruit before starting to cook. Two chopped kiwis and some fresh blackberries made it onto my plate as I cooked dinner: rotisserie chicken on quinoa, spinach, corn, and zucchini stir-fry. This simple dinner didn’t need a single grain of salt – I added lemon juice and some freshly-ground black pepper. This is truly my fave quick dinner for one!
I’ve said it a hundred times before, but rotisserie chicken is SO tender and delicious. You don’t even need the skin to get the full effect. With my chicken thigh and breast, this was such a filling and delicious dinner. I finished every drop!
I packed some snacks for our plane ride (L to R): organic kettle corn, cashews + raisins, dark chocolate-covered figs, a little square of milk chocolate, roasted garlic and rosemary crackers, coconut chips, and some more kettle corn. Seline has some baggies of Sour Keys and High Chews prepared.
Paris, here we come! 😀