Here are the main ingredients: milk (we used unsweetened Almond Breeze), plain yogurt (Greek yogurt works too), and cornmeal.
Plopped into mini muffin trays – they look just like scrambled eggs!
one two immediately, of course! 🙂 They are so moist and slightly sweet.
Best Cornbread Recipe
Makes 24 mini muffins or 9 squares
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tbsp lemon juice + enough milk to make 1 cup OR 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan or 24 mini muffin cups.
- Melt butter in a skilled. Stir in the sugar.
- Let cool and then add eggs, beat until well blended.
- If using lemon juice + milk, mix the baking soda inside. If using yogurt, add baking soda to other dry ingredients.
- Whisk dry ingredients together – cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking soda (if using yogurt).
- Stir in until well blended but still a little lumpy. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Make sure the butter + sugar mixture is COOL before adding the beaten eggs, or else the eggs might scramble.
- Do not overmix the batter after combining wet with dry. If you overmix, you’ll end up with dry, dense, tough muffins.
- Warning – the muffins do take significantly more time than the plain 8 inch pan, because you have to grease them all and spoon them into each muffin cup. I would recommend the 8 inch pan unless you have lots of time to kill, like I did. 🙂